Tuesday, September 11, 2012


On What Occasion Do You Lie

            “On what occasion do you lie?” My classmate asked me the question on the Tuesday evening class and I was surprised by my answer.
            “Er… I think I lie when I feel nervous. ”
           “Is it really my thought?” I kept thinking about it, feeling that I am such a big liar and wandering around the classroom to finish the questionnaire teacher assigned. I asked the same question and I got the answer. “I lie when I don’t want to hurt someone’s feeling.”
            Why couldn’t I come up with that perfect answer? Was I a person without moral? I couldn’t help thinking about the question again and rejudge my answer. And then I realized that the reason I felt nervous was because I didn’t want to hurt other’s feeling, and the consequence was telling a lie. After a long time consideration, I felt much more relaxation gaining my virtue back. However, this question led me to think about the reliability of first-time answer. People always say that how important the first impression is and how crucial the first responses are. Psychologists believe that first time response would present one’s truly thought without long time thinking and personal decoration. Lots of people get improperly judged when their first debuts go unsuccessfully. Few of them may have a second chance to rebuild their image, while most of them would never find an opportunity to take back the wrong information.
            Is first-time response still reliable? I highly doubt it.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment